List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] sudo
From:       Gerald Pfeifer <gp () novell ! com>
Date:       2008-06-27 20:47:33

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> Per the man:
>
>         sudo allows a permitted user to execute a command as the superuser
>         or another user, as specified in the sudoers file.  The real and
>         effective uid and gid are set to match those of the target user as
>         specified in the passwd file and the group vector is initialized
>         based on the group file (unless the -P option was specified).  If
>         the invoking user is root or if the target user is the same as the
>         invoking user, no password is required.  Otherwise, sudo requires
>         that users authenticate themselves with a password by default
>     >   (NOTE: in the default configuration this is the user's password,
>     >   not the root password).  Once a user has been authenticated, a
>         timestamp is updated and the user may then use sudo without a
>         password for a short period of time (5 minutes unless overridden in
>         sudoers).

The man page not matching our default installation looks like a bug,
so I went ahead and filed Bugzilla #404710 - sudo man pages does not
match default configuration.

Gerald
--
Dr. Gerald Pfeifer            E gp@novell.com      SUSE Linux Products GmbH
Director Inbound Product Mgmt  T +49(911)74053-0    HRB 16746 (AG Nuremberg)