List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] Czech Packagers Team meeting =?iso-8859-1?q?minutes=092008-06-19?=
From:       Michal Vyskocil <mvyskocil () suse ! cz>
Date:       2008-06-27 14:46:25

On Friday 27 June 2008 14:03:18 Jan Kupec wrote:
> JP Rosevear wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 14:01 +0200, Ales Nosek wrote:
> >> Czech Packagers Team meeting minutes 2008-06-19
> >> ===============================================
> >>
> >> Present: anicka, anosek, jmatejek, lmichnovic, mkudlvasr, mmarek,
> >> mvyskocil, nadvornik, prusnak, puzel, sbrabec
> >>
> >> Minutes: anosek
> >>
> >> Topics:
> >>
> >> (1) Scout released
> >> (2) Spec file wizard
> >> (3) Opera 9.5
> >> (4) RPMs E-shop
> >>
> >> (1) Scout released
> >> ==================
> >> The first public version of Scout was released. It is a simple
> >> tool which allows user to look for (not yet installed) packages
> >> using simple queries. For example, which autoconf macros does the
> >> package contain, which Java classes are present inside or what
> >> binaries does the package provide. Scout packages are available in
> >> openSUSE BuildService in home:prusnak:scout project. Look at the
> >> introduction[1], installation instructions[2] and demonstration
> >> video[3] to get the idea.
> >
> > I don't know how feasible it is, but incorporating this into
> > PackageKit
>
> How? Does PackageKit API include such funtionality? Or did you mean
> it the other way around - use PackageKit from scout to install what
> it found?
>
> > would be great - there already exists installation tools that grab
> > the package for a specific file or mime type, and upstream is
> > developing support for codecs as well
>
> What about enabling a unix way to do this? Let scout to be able to
> switch to return a white space separated list of package names to
> feed to zypper or other tool?

Well, we are working on some code improvements. I've an (very)
experimental D-BUS interface to scout. And the output code was
rewritted, so we could now produce any form of output, so if the zypper
has some special Requirements, let me note and I'll write a
ZypperFormatter class and add an option to select it :-).