List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] 11.1 partitioner
From:       "Rajko M." <rmatov101 () charter ! net>
Date:       2008-06-27 5:03:44

On Thursday 26 June 2008 11:07:29 pm Vahis wrote:

>  From some winapp:
> "3D *animated* no-nags *disk* utility that will take boring *hard* drive
> statistics and spice them up using 3D *animation*.
> Tells you what kind of files are on the *..."

I have feeling that "some win app" actually made different type of boring,
like animated hard disk model which is equally boring and uninformative for
total beginners as any partitioning table. Not to forget, we are all there
for some subjects. Little embedded crash course can be more than wanted.

I had in mind just plain image that we can see in comics. Silly, simple comic
that will be insult for some educated users, but clear analogy to everybody
that has no insight in computer internals.

How much work is that?
A lot. Few years probably to cover the most popular topics.
Starting with identifying technical words that have no, or have different,
meaning in normal language.
- Formatting paragraph in text editor doesn't mean that you will loose text.
It will just change the shape, so users that have another OS already
installed when they bought computer, most probably have no idea that
blackboard (hard disk) will be erased and that empty table will be written on
it.
- Partitioning - most of users have no idea that it is possible to have hard
disk (what is hard disk?) space split into areas that are used as separate
disks.

and so on.

I work for company that is offering different types of training software.
Basic is only images and the top is full multimedia. Which is default depends
on purchased equipment.

Similar, if Live CD discovers slow machine it will offer something that fits
the abilities of hardware. If windows was only OS and hard disk is topped
with files, than there is great chance that user has no idea about formatting
and partitioning.

--
Regards, Rajko
http://en.opensuse.org/Portal needs helpful hands.