List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] kde4
From:       Mike McCallister <workingwriter () prodigy ! net>
Date:       2007-08-04 0:13:56

On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 18:26 -0500, Donn Washburn wrote:
> I recently downloaded a bunch of kde4 rpms via yast2.  It took awhile
> and when finished I thought I would try it.  Question is "how"!  I have
> not found anything like startkde4.  I already was aware of the new kde4
> location other than /opt.  What is the trick?
>
> Also is it reasonable to assume it could replace kde3 binaries and menus

I haven't tried this in the last couple of alphas, but it should still
work this way: in the graphical login screen, click Session (lower left
corner) before you type your password. You should see KDE4 as an option.

Right now, the two versions of KDE can sit side by side. I'm not sure if
the KDE4 apps are sufficiently stable to replace KDE3 just yet, but I
suspect it's getting pretty close.

Mike McCallister