List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] mirror performance (was: ludicrous software
From:       Eberhard Moenkeberg <emoenke () gwdg ! de>
Date:       2006-11-30 23:49:32

Hi,
On Thu, 30 Nov 2006, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2006/11/30 23:16 (GMT+0100) Eberhard Moenkeberg apparently typed:
> > On Thu, 30 Nov 2006, Felix Miata wrote:
> >> On 2006/11/30 16:39 (GMT+0100) Eberhard Moenkeberg apparently typed:

> >> I switched to this for this update. I started over 5 hours ago. It still
> >> shows >2 hours remaining. I can't tell exactly how dismal this is
> >> because yast doesn't bother to tell the download rate, but I suspect
> >> it's in the modem speed range. From good performing mirrors I can
> >> download an average CD iso in less than 20 minutes. I should have been
> >> done >4 hours ago.
>
> > Believe me, this is the best you can do.
> > I have a bandwidth shaping of 800 MBit/sec since 8 minutes (500 MBit/sec
> > before), and about 2200 sessions currently.
> > The server is delivering 73 MByte/sec at the moment - so please calculate
> > if "your part" is fair.
>
> I'm not sure how to calculate. ETA is now down to about 20 minutes,
> which means the total time for almost 800 packages will have amounted to
> almost 7 hours by the time it finishes.
>
> By comparison, 800 is probably not a lot less than how many packages
> were required yesterday on a fresh install from mirrors.kernel.org that
> took less than 2 hours for the whole installation.

Keep reserved about YasT's time estimations. It is good they are present,
but they are most of the time of low value. At the end they are good. ;-)

> > BTW: the remaining 27 MByte/sec get delivered by ftp.gwdg.de. ;-))
>
> I have no doubt you do the best you can given the demand and what you
> have to work with. I think the real problem is professed development
> mirrors whose sync frequency is just fine for releases, but inadequate
> for development trees. The closest mirror to me is ftp.cise.ufl.edu.
> It's performance is great, if it has what I need, but it doesn't carry
> factory.

It is planned since long to distribute factory via push service (like
repositories currently) - this will give the chance for every mirror to be
as actual as possible. The opensuse server would initiate the rsync run
as soon as any package has finished compiling successfully. Let's pray to
get it coming soon, or let's shout very very nasty to the SUSE guys who
are responsible for it.
Looking at the time frame, I would prefer to shout.

> Mirrors.kernel.org usually has good download performance, but it's sync
> behavior for factory is bad. I wanted the newest kernel this AM and went
> there to find it. I had no problem fetching it, but it had a dep on some
> newer perl package. I went to find that package, and there was _no_
> version of it on that mirror. That's when I decided to try ftp-1.gwdg.de.
>
> We need testing caliber mirrors only for factory, but don't have it.
> This is what drives people to overload gwdg. :-(

If you have patience, you will stand it and it will succeed.
It will perform better at European night and weekend.

In summary, the GWDG servers are delivering almost 200 TB per month.
This rate will get doubled (theoretically - I will have to see if the
servers will perform accordingly) in October 2007.

Cheers-e
--
Eberhard Moenkeberg (emoenke@gwdg.de, em@kki.org)