List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] Midnight Commander's  (mc's) COPY command
From:       Basil Chupin <blchupin () tpg ! com ! au>
Date:       2006-11-30 14:22:24

Richard Bos wrote:
> Op donderdag 30 november 2006 07:48, schreef Basil Chupin:
>> RC1 was upgraded last night (using smart) and I noticed that mc was one
>> of the apps which got upgraded.
>>
>> Using mc, I went to copy a directory from the second HD (hdc), which is
>> formatted with reiserfs, to my home directory on the first HD (hda),
>> formatted with the now default ext3, and at the end of the "copying"
>> process the computer was locked solid - no keyboard, no mouse - only way
>> out was to reboot. After the reboot there was no sign of the copied
>> directory - ie, nothing got copied but the process just locked up the
>> system. To be sure that this was not a 'once off' occurrence I repeated
>> this 2x more with same results.
>>
>> What I don't know is whether it is mc's F5 copy is doing this or whether
>> the standard command cp will also do the same - I cannot test at the
>> moment but I thought I would post this so that others may verify this
>> lockup.
>
> I reported a sudden hangup of my test system 2 days (tue 28/11 21:30) as well.
> I did not have time to play further with the system.  I'm not sure, but
> perhaps the system became unstable after the (4th) kernel upgrade....

Well at this point I have to retract my earlier comment about mc and not
being able to copy using the F5 key. While the system froze again 3
times while I was testing, suddenly it stopped doing this and now I can
copy whichever way I want: with mc, Konqueror and the command line cp
command. All are working without a problem. Weirdest thing I've come across.

So, I'll put on hold the hassle with the copying and see what occurs
after I reboot into RC1 later today.

Cheer.

--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us
with sense,

Galileo Galilei