List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] Hardware Support: JMicron JMB363 (w/ Intel P965 Chipset)
From:       Randall R Schulz <rschulz () sonic ! net>
Date:       2006-10-15 18:55:22

Marcus,

On Sunday 15 October 2006 11:09, Marcus Camen wrote:
> On Sunday 15 October 2006 19:41, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > Is this a regression in 2.6.18-9?
>
> No, 2.6.18-11 does also work. I think I have enabled AHCI for the JM
> IDE controller in the BIOS settings.

Hurrah! And thank you.

Actually, I thought I'd tried this already, but what I didn't realize
was that I'd changed the ICH8 SATA from IDE emulation to AHCI. I had
overlooked the JMicron setting in a separate BIOS screen. When I change
the ICH8 setting from IDE to AHCI, the system will not boot at all. I
just see the BIOS boot screen, with nothing but a flashing underscore
cursor. But if I put the ICH8 SATA setting back to IDE and change the
JMicron to AHCI, I can boot from the IDE ATAPI drive (using the SuSE
boot disc and ultimately booting the SCSI hard drive where the root
file system resides). And I can see (as in hwinfo) and access (as in
YaST Software Management, e.g.) that drive from the running system.

> I use
>   camen@home ~ $ grep ^INITRD_MODULES /etc/sysconfig/kernel
>   INITRD_MODULES="ahci generic fan reiserfs edd"

% grep ^INITRD_MODULES /etc/sysconfig/kernel
INITRD_MODULES="processor thermal ahci ata_piix generic mptspi fan
reiserfs edd"

> For the disks I'm also using AHCI mode.

Out of curiosity (only, since I've achieved what I want based on your
advice) I wonder if these hard drives are on the ICH8 SATA buses or the
JMicron SATA buses?

> --
> Marcus

Again, thanks for the advice.