List:       opensuse-buildservice
Subject:    [opensuse-buildservice] Re: Debug versions of local libraries
From:       Lars =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=FCller?= <lmuelle () suse ! com>
Date:       2012-08-14 16:38:19

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 02:54:29PM +0200, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> I would like to make debug information for libraries we make. Of course,
> I can compile and link the libraries this way, and install them. But I
> see that for openSUSE libraries, a better method is used:
>
> An RPM is made that contains the debug version of the library. This
> version of the library is not used when the application is run normally.
> This is used by gdb when running an application or examining a core
> file. There seems to be some intelligence to this so that gdp knows
> which version of the debug RPM is needed, and even suggests the command
> to get that version installed. These debug version of the librarys are
> perhaps installed in an alternate location from the regular use
> versions.
>
> Is there a description for how this is accomplished on openSUSE? Of most
> interest is how to set it up so that the debug version of the library is
> available to gdb. I looked around on the openSUSE site, but could not
> find anything. I guess I do not know where best to look...
>
> Yours sincerely,
>
> Roger Oberholtzer

Thanks Roger for your feedback.

I'm redirecting your question to the opensuse-buildservice@opensuse.org
list.

The initial posting was:
http://lists.openSUSE.org/opensuse/2012-08/msg00328.html

Instead to complain any of us is able to do the same by replying to the
correct list, set Reply-To, and by this the discussion is moved forward
to the correct list.

Thanks,

Lars
--