List:       opensuse-buildservice
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Deltarpm generation and size limits
From:       Claudio Freire <klaussfreire () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-08-13 14:39:25

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 6:37 AM, Michael Schroeder <mls@suse.de> wrote:
>> So... why not use a different threshold?
>>
>> I propose 80% for packages bigger than 200k, and 50% for smaller packages.
>
> Yes, we could do that. The drawback is that it also takes a lot of time
> to reassemble the rpm from the deltarpm (the payload has to be compressed
> again, an operation that isn't cheap), so I used a fixed percentage.

I remember the discussion.

But unless you have a download bandwidth greater than the
recompression bandwidth, it should work out fine.
And recompression bandwidth is quite big (MB/s).

But, more importantly, bandwidth depends on the user, not the server.
OBS should generate the deltas, and zypper should be told not to use
them unless it's worth it (which is a simple function of known
bandwidths). The server cannot make that decision.

In my case, with a 1Mbps connection, recompression is quite a bit
faster than download.

From the server's perspective, saving bandwidth should be top priority.

Just MHO.