List:       opensuse-buildservice
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-buildservice] ANNOUNCE: OBS gitorious.org => github.com move .... DONE!
From:       Adrian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Schr=F6ter?= <adrian () suse ! de>
Date:       2011-11-04 9:00:30

Am Freitag, 4. November 2011, 10:47:07 schrieb Sascha Peilicke:
> On 11/03/2011 05:12 PM, Adrian Schröter wrote:

> >> Adrian's script is now generating commit messages again, which means
> >> it's generating them with a huge delay
> >
> > delay should not be hugh, just when git-sendmail run into its "diff with
> > too long lines" bug :/
>
> Except when your machine isn't running...
>
> >> and multiple times, depending on
> >> branch merges. Can we please revert that?
> >
> > Michael, TuX and me currently want readable mails....
>
> You mean you want crappy diffs in black and white with line breaks.
> 'Readable' surely is a matter of taste. But I'm not at all against diffs
> in mails, but I prefer the better tool (which is taste, too).
>
> >> We moved to github to change
> >> for the better and get rid of broken / custom crap. I filed a feature
> >> request to have diffs added for github's commit mails and the friendly
> >> guys there added it to their list. With the current commit messages
> >> sent
> >> by github, it's diffs are one click away. Not much in the age of
> >> browser, no?
> >
> > These mails are just pointless for me. If there are more people who want
> > mails without diffs I can send them just to the people who want them
> > with diffs.
> >
> > For me and michael the diffs are crucial for our peer review work.
>
> Don't get me wrong, but that is new to me ;-)
>
> The obs-commits list was intended as a read-only list for commit
> notification. If you want to discuss the pros n cons of a commit, you
> would either use opensuse-buildservice@ or the commenting system on
> github. You really don't want people to reply to obs-commits@.
>
> > We don't want to wait for browser startups ...
>
> So all of you are in the big
> quitting-me-browser-after-every-page-visited camp? Seriously not.
>
> Especially you are firing up qgit every time you really want to follow
> commits. While we're all speaking for other people, for Michael,
> everything beyond mail (like IRC) is infernal stuff ;-)
>
> > Is there anyone who wants mails, but without diffs ?

It might be true that we are old and bald haired, but frankly, it looks
like you are currently the only modern developer in OBS. Let's keep the diffs
for us old fashioned people please until github has implemented it. (The
script was always considered a workaround until our hoster has a solution).

If you miss links to github pages, I may can convience git sendmail to add
them ...

good morning :)
adrian

--