List:       opensuse-buildservice
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Public availability of ci.opensuse.org
From:       Stephen Shaw <sshaw () decriptor ! com>
Date:       2011-10-24 15:43:41

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 05:20, Roger Oberholtzer <roger@opq.se> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-10-19 at 10:58 -0800, Sascha Peilicke wrote:
>> On Wednesday 19 October 2011 10:38:30 Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
>> > On Tue, 2011-10-18 at 17:12 -0800, Sascha Peilicke wrote:
>> >
>> > We use Hudson for CI locally. Interesting to see that you use Jenkins.
>> > Perhaps this is not for discussion here, but what is the difference
>> > between the two?
>> http://www.google.com/search?q=hudson+versus+jenkins
>
> Thanks for that. But few of them really say anything useful. Mainly that
> Hudson is losing share. OK. But do any of these describe any technical
> reason for this? All I see is the results of a popularity contest. Of
> course, if all the Hudson developers move to Jenkins, that is compelling
> reason to follow. It remains unclear to me just why they are jumping
> ship.
>
> Yours sincerely,
>
> Roger Oberholtzer

The reason essentially for both hudson and jenkins is because oracle
is really lame.  The pissed off the entire core team and a large (most
if not just about all) of the community.  There is a whole lot of blog
posts out there about this.  At the end of the day oracle pushed
everyone out the door and cased a fork in the project.  I can't
imagine other than just taking jenkins code into hudson that hudson
will necessarily compete/survive with jenkins.

Cheers,
Stephen