List:       opensuse-buildservice
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-buildservice] OBS Logo
From:       Nelson Marques <nmo.marques () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-08-22 1:32:24

> I agree that the tone was not helpful and immediately contributed to
> degradation of a thread that was meant to be collaborative.  Let's not
> slamp people when they offer up their ideas or end-works.  Let's learn
> to speak more constructively.

Being constructive:

You ask me if I like your shoes, I say "No they are ugly". What is the
problem the tone, it seems to me the problem is that a few people like
to pound others whenever they disagree, and even promote some kind of
hypocrite stance to make them look like hostile.

Furthermore, the comment had a few truth's, that YOU as a Marketing
professional should be aware if you really understand anything at all
about Marketing, starting with cultural adaptation of a product (which
includes the Fifth Leg font you mention bellow, which is known to have
problem with cyrillic support, a concern already subject to bug
reports from the russian speaking community).

So, just a quick question:

* Why do some people like to take everything that is said on the
negative side and not focus on the positive?

> From a marketing perspective, let's not forget also that OBS is not just
> a community project tool but also a product with commercial offerings.
> So it needs to be a logo that appeals both to community and enterprise
> audiences.

From a marketing perspective, segmentation exists for a purpose. Think
it over and decide what is the main role. You can neither please
trojans and greeks at the same time.

> As for text font, I'd like to see us be consistent with using FifthLeg
> wherever possible, but that's only a wish, not an insistence.  :-)

I quote from the contribution you tried to bash down, which is one of
the most basic facts in Marketing:

* "The font isn't readable and anyway it's a logo and probably
shouldn't have that"

The problem goes beyond this with:
* The font is no longer maintained by Steiner;
* The font was subject to bug reports from members of the Russian
speaking community in which point to the lack of Cyrillic Glyphs.
* A font that has known problems with cultural adaptation shouldn't be
used for branding;

My thing is that Fifth Leg should actually be dropped from any
branding, including openSUSE because honestly, it's not a font for the
future, it's something from the past.

NM