List:       opensuse-buildservice
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-marketing] Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Proposed OBS rename / + BRETZN name
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-02-03 11:02:04

On Thursday 03 February 2011 10:55:01 Adrian Schröter wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 3. Februar 2011, 01:31:24 schrieb Jos Poortvliet:
> > On Wednesday 02 February 2011 22:57:02 Adrian Schröter wrote:
> > > Am Mittwoch, 2. Februar 2011, 22:31:18 schrieb Jos Poortvliet:
>
> > > Just my 2cent on this:
> > >
> > > * I think when using the just the term "OBS" more strictly and avoiding
> > > the
> > >
> > >   full name, the problem would reduce a lot.
> >
> > Well, ppl always want to know what it means - and "open (or openSUSE)
> > build service" is a good start of an explanation. So I don't think this
> > will really solve the issue.
> >
> > > * A rename should always consider the available DNS domains ;)
> >
> > hehehe yes, that is true... But doesn't openbuildservice.org already
> > redirect to build.opensuse.org? Seems like we could go for that name
> > then... Yes?
>
> This particular one is indeed owned by me (privately). But there are also
> others, some of them pointing also to build.o.o, but they still want to
> hand it over only under some conditions (money or others). That is
> something what I don't even want to start about.

Well, depending on the amount and conditions, I might actually be willing to
pay for this - if it's like $50 or so.. It would make sense from a marketing
perspective and that's what my budget is for... I know, it's ethically not
great, but we have to think from a practical pov.

> One aspect, which should not be forgotten is that OBS is developed still by
> 99% from SUSE employees. We have meanwhile a core team of 3 people and that
> size is only existing, because is OBS is used also for SUSE Linux
> Enterprise and a variete of further SUSE and Novell products and services.
>
> This is of course another good reason to rename it away from "openSUSE",
> but SUSE/Novell as company is the main developer (and openSUSE is just a
> user in first place so far regarding the efforts), so we need to sync with
> our buisiness folks here.

Sure. But I would hope to be able to convince them that from a marketing pov
something like open build service is better ;-)

Besides, we WANT to change the "99% from SUSE employees", right? That means we
need to put in some effort, also in this area. As well as things like code
cleanup, mentoring, code documentation etc etc etc - the usual riff-raff ;-)

> One of them (Kurt Garloff) made actually a suggestion some month ago to
> rename it to "OBS Build Service". This is in the tradition of the Gnu
> tools and also rpm (RedHat Package Manager -> rpm package manager) is a
> good example. It also strength the "OBS" term itself IMHO.
>
> I personally like this suggestion and would slightly prefer it to
> open-build- service (but I have no strong opinion here). But you may want
> to discuss it on FOSDEM.

Hmmm, it does indeed fit in the Unux tradition. Then again, that tradition is
a bit outdated these days - pretty much nobody does use recursive acronyms
anymore. But you're right, it's an option.

> Btw, when we have finally decided about a new name, I would use the new DNS
> name to present OBS as technology and of course link to some real life
> instances. But it would be not the same as build.o.o, which is the openSUSE
> instance.

Makes sense...

> > > * OBS as term itself is actually less import for the end users. They
> > > just
> > > see the result. A reason why the "PPA" term from ubuntu is so
> > > intrusive.
> >
> > True, for end-users the whole thing is very different. But this was
> > mostly prompted by the issue with explaining this to packagers and other
> > more technical people...
>
> But the idea behind this is to get users first and convert some of them to
> packagers afterwards ;)

Well, that depends on what definition of users you and I are using here. I
meant users as in users of the openSUSE distribution; if you're talking to
users as in users of OBS you're entirely right of course. Our distribution
users are in the longer term of course also a source of new contributors but a
bit more distant than those already using OBS...

> And every packager is anyway a user, so he will have first contact with
> this. Esp. when comming from a non-SUSE distro and gets surprised via some
> web page that software.opensuse.org also offers for his distro stuff ;)

Yup :D