List:       opensuse-buildservice
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-buildservice] opensuse OBS and proprietary SW
From:       Andreas Jaeger <aj () novell ! com>
Date:       2010-09-17 11:21:49

On Thursday 16 September 2010 22:26:16 Petr Vanek wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I just (ok, few weeks ago) discovered that there is oracle instant
> client rpm in opensuse build service. I'd like to say: hooray!
>
> But - is it officially allowed to use it? I mean - there were
> discussions in mailing list about it without any conclusion, except
> that it's potentially dangerous. There are requests for it in openfate
> without any official response. Etc.

Let me look it up and answer.

> Now I'm using my personal obs instance to provide oracle related
> opensource sw (http://download.yarpen.cz) and I'd like to know if it's
> fine to use official OBS in this case? Heh, It would save my money ;)

We have a policy in the openSUSE instance of obs to not have closed source
software and allow only some after approval - and for those we need proper
redistribution rights.

So, if the oracle instant client is not under an OSI approved open source
license, it is not allowed on the build service,

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger, Program Manager openSUSE,  aj@{novell.com,opensuse.org}
    Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany