List:       opensuse-buildservice
Subject:    [opensuse-buildservice] Noarch Mono packages (was Re: AdrianS , Could you please...)
From:       Michal Vyskocil <mvyskocil () suse ! cz>
Date:       2009-09-30 15:00:59

On Wednesday 30 of September 2009 13:32:34 Michal Marek wrote:
> Michal Vyskocil napsal(a):
> >>
> >> Is there a reason why the packages aren't noarch?
> >>
> >> Michal
> >
> > Yes, the reason is the AOT - Ahead Of Time - compile. Explanation from
> > Mono Packaging Guidelines [1]
> >
> > """
> > The main reason for this is that mono can ahead-of-time compile its
> > assemblies into ELF shared objects. These AOTs have to exist in the same
> > directory as their DLL/EXE counterparts otherwise mono cannot use them.
> > Even if we, as packagers, choose not to create the AOT files when we
> > build the mono rpms, the system administrator can choose to create them
> > after install. Since there's no way to place the mono assemblies into an
> > arch independent directory and the AOTs into arch dependent directories,
> > the whole thing has to go into an arch dependent tree.
> > """
>
> We have noarch mono packages in Factory. Are these broken then?

Technically not unless they don't use AOT compilation - afaik it is not
necessary (but I don't know a much about mono things). But on the other side
they don't conform the current policy (even if the guidelines are not
completed and are just semi-official, we don't have anything better for Mono
packages).

Michal Vyskocil