List:       opensuse-autoinstall
Subject:    [opensuse-autoinstall] Generic boot and installation environment
From:       Hans-Joachim Ehlers <HansJoachim.Ehlers () eumetsat ! int>
Date:       2009-12-17 16:31:31

Hi
i would like to enhance our linux installation environment to support more target \
configuration starting from network to installed software. Also we have an offline \
environment which will have the same installation environment but different IP \
addresses.

To solve the new requirement I thought of using DHCP to provide Information about the \
final target. This information is used in an init-script to finalze the installation

Example:
dhcpsd.conf

client 1 10.0.0.1
 {
 - option 224 Marketing
 }
client 1 10.0.0.2
 {
 - option 224 Development
 }

This information would be parsed from a script and copied to the target during \
installation. Of course an extended rule.xml could be used as well.

But the main problem is with the offline facility which has different IP numbers but \
the same installation server structure:

Currently I have an info-file in the initrd to provide all autoyast information. But \
this file contains the IP number of the Installation server

Example:
cat info.sl111.x86
netdevice: eth0
netmask: 255.255.0.0
broadcast: 10.0.255.255
gateway: 10.0.0.1
server: 10.0.0.5
#Autoyast configuration
autoyast: http://10.0.0.5/export/suse/sl111/autoinstall/

BTW: Is the server parameter still needed ?

One solution would be to a have separate pxe conf file and providing the information \
on the kernel command line.

Example:
cat /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/DEV.sl111-x86.graphic.auto
APPEND initrd=sl111/initrd.x86.auto autoyast=10.0.0.5/

cat /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/MARKETING.sl111-x86.graphic.auto
APPEND initrd=sl111/initrd.x86.auto autoyast=192.168.0.1/

But I would like to provide the information via DHCP thus giving autoyast the \
information dynamically. Thus I would have a generic installation environment.

Any ideas ?

tia
Hajo

--
 Hans-Joachim Ehlers
 UNIX Systems Engineer

ÿôèº{.nÇ+‰·ÿ{ùšŠ_è¥éìºÇÿjëhŠ{-jY~º{.nÇ+‰·ÿ¢—§²ëþŠàŠÚuØ­Š‰Ú•Ê&™©Ý³÷ÿ™¨¥þŠ^žË¬{ö®¶ˆ§²Ö¥—è^–Ÿè¥éìºÇÿ