List:       opensuse-autoinstall
Subject:    [opensuse-autoinstall] How can I fix network configuaration settins of multiple NIC cards using Auto
From:       Alan Keng <akeng () aehr ! com>
Date:       2008-07-25 19:22:13

Hi,

I configured 2 NICs on my system with 2 static IP in 2 different subnets. Then
I used Autoinstallation to save the XML control file.

    <interfaces config:type="list">
      <interface>
        <bootproto>static</bootproto>
        <device>eth0</device>
        <ipaddr>172.24.255.11</ipaddr>
        <name>CK804 Ethernet Controller</name>
        <netmask>255.255.0.0</netmask>
        <startmode>auto</startmode>
        <usercontrol>no</usercontrol>
      </interface>
      <interface>
        <bootproto>static</bootproto>
        <device>eth1</device>
        <ipaddr>172.19.1.1</ipaddr>
        <name>82541PI Gigabit Ethernet Controller</name>
        <netmask>255.255.0.0</netmask>
        <startmode>auto</startmode>
        <usercontrol>no</usercontrol>
      </interface>
    </interfaces>

After many installations with AutoYast, most of the time the system would
detect CK804 NIC (MAC address) as eth0 and 82541PI (MAC address) as eth1.
However, it is not true all the time. So there would be the case that the
eth0 with name of CK804 is set to the MAC address of 82541PI NIC and eth1
with name of 82541PI is set to the MAC address of CK804.  (CK804 is an
integrated NIC and 82541PI is a PCI NIC card).

Is there a way to make sure the network settings would be the same after every
installation using AutoYast?? (I would like to have one NIC with specific IP
setting and the other one has another specific IP setting all the time)?

If I use the XML control file to autoinstall on another system with different
2 NICs (not CK804 and 8254 PI anymore), what will happen?

By the way, the Linuxrc would always see the CK804 NIC as eth1 and 82541PI as
eth0 (at least so far).

Is it possible you could kindly point me to some directions so that I could
solve those problems. I am not sure how the NICs are detected as eth0, eth1,
etc. Why the Linuxrc always detects CK804 as eth1 but most of the time the
AutoYast would detect CK804 as eth0?

Thank you so much for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Alan