List:       opensuse-autoinstall
Subject:    [opensuse-autoinstall] Custom autoInstall boot CD for multiple distributions (SLES 9 & SLES10)
From:       Adam Hawks <awhawks () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2008-03-21 19:27:07

Is it possible with AutoYast and CD install source to have different
options in the isolinux.cfg that will autoinstall DIFFERENT releases.

I have a product that installs on top of SLES and supports both SLES 9 and
SLES 10.
My customer base is mostly hardware maintenance folks not computer users
so automation in necessary
I'm trying to make my software install using autoinstall with a custom
boot CD.
I plan to have the "isolinux.cfg" present a list of machine hardware
models and SLES version combination for them to select from and the rest
be automated.

I'm having trouble getting my custom boot CD to boot and start yast and
then ask for the CD1 of SLES 9 or SLES 10 depending on which
"isolinux.cfg" option was selected.
It correctly boots and starts yast with the correct config file but then
fails when it reaches "Configure Software Selections" and pops up the
"Initializing catalogs" window.
The error window contains:  Error occurred while creating the catalog.
                               cd:///?devices=/dev/hdc
                               Source rejected by the user

                               Retry            Abort

I was expecting it to ask for the SLES 9 CD #1 at this point but it does
not.

I have tried various combinations of options in the "content" files and in
the "yast/order" and "yast/instorder" files to no avail.
At this point I'm in need of help on how or IF this is even possible.

My CD layout is as follows with some contents specific to the SLES 9
selection

/media.1/media
         products
/XPONSLES10/content
            686850U.xml
            68685AU.xml
            8639PTW.xml
/XPONSLES9/content
           686850U.xml
           68685AU.xml
           8639PTW.xml
/SLES9/yast/order
            instorder
/boot/i386/root.fonts
           root
           loader/linux
                  text4c.pcx
                  16001200.spl
                  isolinux.bin
                  isolinux.cfg
                  initrd
                  16x16.fnt
                  text2b.pcx
                  text4a.pcx
                  back.jpg
                  text1.pcx
                  bootlogo
                  kroete.dat
                  text3.pcx
                  message
                  text2c.pcx
                  text4b.pcx
                  memtest
                  welcome.jpg
                  en.tr
                  10240768.spl
                  directory.yast
                  timer_a.jpg
                  text2a.pcx
                  en.hlp
                  12801024.spl
                  14001050.spl
                  08000600.spl

The files in the boot/i386/ folders are from SLES 10 SP1 CD #1 except for
isolinux.cfg which contains

default Install_3890XP_on_6868_50U_with_SLES9

# install
label Install_3890XP_on_6868_50U_with_SLES9
  kernel linux
  append initrd=initrd splash=verbose install=cd
autoyast=file:///XPONSLES9/686850U.xml showopts

# install
label Install_3890XP_on_6868_50U_with_SLES10
  kernel linux
  append initrd=initrd splash=verbose install=cd
autoyast=file:///XPONSLES10/686850U.xml showopts

The media.1/media file contains

IBM 3890XP Control Program
20080317141526
1

The media.1/product file contains

/XPONSLES9              IBM-3890XP-SLES9        2.0-21
/XPONSLES10             IBM-3890XP-SLES10       2.0-21

The SLES9/yast/order file contains

/               /SLES9/
/XPONSLES9      /XPONSLES9/

The SLES9/yast/instorder file contains