List:       opensuse-autoinstall
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-autoinstall] Re: [suse-autoinstall] SLES 10 RC2 remove-packages
From:       Guenther Haas <guenther.haas () gmx ! de>
Date:       2008-02-28 13:41:06

Uwe Gansert wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 February 2008, Guenther Haas wrote:
>
>> Was this issue solved in the final SLES10 or SLES10-SP1?
>
> it's definitely fixed in SP1 but IIRC SLES10 was not affected too.

OK, thank you for that information.

> RPM dependency is one thing but there are also patterns that require
> packages.

Do you see a possibility to remove the package novfs-kmp-...?

In openSuSE 10.1 I can not find it in any selection file. But anyway an
appropriate entry in the remove-packaegs section is ignored although other
entries are not.
Removing this package manually is possible without any problems anwithout
any dependency warning.

But, why do I want to remove this package? Actually my problem is a different
one:

I tried to include an add-on repository during my installation, containing
some (not all) rpms from ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/update/10.1/rpm/i586 .
Especially all kernel... packages for some reason connected to our hardware.

Doing so, everything works well except the fact, that I get the following
error messages:

  Cannot solve dependencies automatically. Manual intervention ist required.

And entering the sofware section (details) manually:

  novfs-kmp-smp-1.2.0_2.6.16.13_4-10.i586[SUSE-Linux-10.1-FTP-10.1-0-20080228-
  142043] cannot be installed due to missing...
  There are no installable providers of kernel(fs_proc) == fb66c0190774e82 for
  novfs-kmp-smp...[...]

I tried to solve this problem by also adding all current novfs-kmp- rpms to my
"update add-on" repository. But without effect. I can see the new rpm version in
yast/autoyast but it is ignored by the system, that automatically still wants to
install the old version 1.2.0_... and therefore I get the same error messages
and the installation doesn't start.

Now I have three questions:

Is there a way to do, what I want to do. Directly install the newest kernel
with autoyast?

Why does autoyast want to install the 1.2.0 version of novfs-kmp-... althout there
is a newer and better fitting version availabe?
Is the version hard coded somewhere?
In the /var/log/YaST/y2log I can find the information, that this rpm is
chosen "Explicit !". What does this mean?

Why is it not possible to remove the package novfs-kmp-... automatically
with the remove-packages method?

Many thank in advance and

Best regards,

--