List:       opensuse-autoinstall
Subject:    Re: [suse-autoinstall] Information available to postinstall, and DHCP
From:       Uwe Gansert <ug () suse ! de>
Date:       2006-08-10 8:45:26

On Monday 07 August 2006 18:06, Andrew Laden wrote:

> 1: Is there a reference doc of what information is available to
> postinstall scripts. (ie, IP address, install server, etc) I know I could
> probably run some commands in postinstall to get it, but If there are
> preset varaibles, it would be easier.

just run "env > /tmp/post-env" in your postscript and you can see the env
for your case.
Generally you can say that all keys from the install.inf are available as an
env. variable too.

> 2: Is there a way to have autoyast configure the interface that uses for
> the install to use dhcp for its IP address, hostname, router,
> resolve.conf etc. Right now after the install, the machine reboots, It
> gets it IP. But DHCPCD isnt running, it thinks its hostname is
> "linux.site" and has no meaningful network info. The interfaces are
> listed as unconfigured in YaST.

you can configure the network device with your autoyast profile.
Better use the "yast2 autoyast" UI for that.

> 3: What information needs to be in the linuxrc.config file in the initrd,
> vs the pxeconfig boot file. ie, if I have

the kernel parameter list has a limit of 256 if I remember correctly. If you
don't reach that limit, you can use pxe or the linuxrc.config - there is no
difference.

> 4: Is there a more detailed document as to actual parameters you can use
> in an autoyast file. The doc gives lots of samples, but not the full
> list. If you don't want to do things like the examples, you are out of
> luck it seems.

for stuff that is not documented well, better use the autoyast UI

--
ciao, Uwe Gansert

Uwe Gansert, Server Technologies Team
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5, D-90409 Nuernberg, Germany
Business: http://www.suse.de/~ug
now playing God Module - Sections