List:       opensuse-autoinstall
Subject:    Update of driverupdate makes that IBM x346 doesn't want to reboot anymore
From:       Johan Kielbaey <aquajtk-suse () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2006-03-31 12:40:25

Hello,

This issue occured both with SLES 9 SP2 and SLES 9 SP3
on an IBM x346.

We have different hardwaremodels (IBM x306m, IBM x346,
...). To install SLES9 SP2 on an IBM x306m we needed
to provide a diskette with the driverupdate for the
raid controller. I added this driver in the
driverupdate from SLES 9 SP2 (used scripts on site of
Uwe Gansert to do this).

Installation of my testserver (which is an IBM x346)
goes fine. However the server hangs when i reboot the
server after logging in. (install uses the default sp2
kernel. reboot is needed to activate the bigsmp
kernel). During reboot the server hangs after the
message "Please stand by while rebooting the
system...". Since nothing happens I press CTRL-ALT-DEL
in order to try to reboot and then the message
"shutdown: warning: cannot open /var/run/shutdown.pid"
appears and the server doesn't continue. I actually
have to hold the power button for 4 sec to shutdown
the server.

I've reinstalled the server, logged in, then removed
the unused kernelmodule of the x306m raidcontroller
and then rebooted the server. Reboot works fine after
this. I would assume that a loaded kernelmodule that
is not in use, wouldn't cause such a problem.

Anybody who has an idea of what's going wrong?

Rgds,

Johan