List:       opensuse-autoinstall
Subject:    Re: [suse-autoinstall] 32-bit binaries on 64-bit machines
From:       Thorbjörn_Jemander <thje () enea ! se>
Date:       2005-12-09 15:24:04

On Wed, December 7, 2005 14:51, Thorbjörn Jemander wrote:

> Hello,
>
> some time ago I found a message on this list that
> explained how to disable the 64-bit check in
> the early start-up process. However, no matter
> how I look now, I can't find it.
>
> So, how do I force the 32-bit binares to be
> installed, despite that I install on a
> 64-bit machine? (automacically)

On Wed, December 7, 2005 14:51, Thorbjörn Jemander wrote:

> Hello,
>
> some time ago I found a message on this list that
> explained how to disable the 64-bit check in
> the early start-up process. However, no matter
> how I look now, I can't find it.
>
> So, how do I force the 32-bit binares to be
> installed, despite that I install on a
> 64-bit machine? (automacically)

I finally found that old email:

http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-autoinstall/2005-Mar/0105.html

However, there seems to be a simpler way than that.
In the isolinux.cfg file, there's a notice field.

This notice field is binary coded where the
individual bits seem to mean the following:

bit# value meaning
 0    1   Check for second side on DVD
 1    2   Should be check for 64-bit machine?
 2    4   Do we have 64-bit binaries on DVD?
 3    8   Are we a DVD?
 4   16   Do we have both 32 and 64-bit binaries on DVD?

So in order to disable the 64-bit check, one can just as easily
change the "notice" field in isolinux.cfg to not have bit #1 set.

Dr. Thorbjörn Jemander, Senior RT/Systems Expert
Enea Epact AB, Teknikringen 8, Linköping, Sweden
thje@enea.se    +46 13 465 58 67    www.enea.com