List:       opensuse-autoinstall
Subject:    Fwd: [suse-autoinstall] auto updating install tree
From:       Ashe Canvar <acanvar () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-04-28 8:00:54

I am still not clear about the process of getting the updates from SuSe.

1. The command line (online_update) does not have any parameters for
passing my portal username and password.

2. I don't want to use the GUI because I want to script this.

3. man online_update does not exist. -h is very little help either.

4. If I use the gui via YaST2 then the patches get downloaded in
/var/lib/Yast2/you/blah.. This happens for the i386 architecture by
default. How do I also do this for the x86_64 architecture ? (SLES9).

5. There do not seem to be too many rpms doenloaded after step 4. But
a lot of patch-xxx files. What do I do with these ?

6. What do I do with .patch.rpm packages ?

I am so confused that I would rather go back to freebsd and its
awesome cvsup system.

Any help would be appreciated esp with the command lines to get the
updates and info on what parts of the downloaded tree to move into the
updates folder created by Anas's script.

Thanks!