List:       opensuse-autoinstall
Subject:    Re: [suse-autoinstall] Upgrade 9.0 -> 9.1 went totally wrong
From:       Wolfgang.Bauer () schoellerbank ! at
Date:       2004-05-07 7:43:03

Hi Roy,

no, my specs are:
Athlon XP 1600, 768 MB RAM, 80 GB IDE (ATA-100), Geforce 440 MX, SB liv=
e,
2x ethernet, 1 firewire-card

The funny thing was, that I was always told that the upgrade-program co=
uld
not mount my root-partition but when I chose "reset options" (by not
changing any options before) it recognised the root-partition...

I guess, there could be a bug somewhere in the upgrade-program... I wou=
ld
love to track this problem down, but I fear that all logs were deleted.=

Yours, Gery
Dipl.-Ing. Wolfgang Gernot Bauer, Leiter Internet
Schoellerbank AG, Sterneckstrasse 5, 5024 Salzburg, Austria/Europe
Tel.:   ++43-662-8684-364, Fax.:   ++43-662-8684-44364
Email: mailto:wolfgang.bauer@schoellerbank.at, WWW:
http://www.schoellerbank.at

Diese Nachricht dient ausschlie=DFlich zu Informationszwecken und ist n=
ur f=FCr
den Gebrauch des Empf=E4ngers bestimmt.
This message is only for informational purposes and is intended solely =
for
the use of the addressee.

                                                                       =

             Roy Butler                                                =

             <roy.butler@jpl.                                          =

             nasa.gov>                                                 =
                                                An
                                      suse-autoinstall@suse.com        =

             06.05.2004 22:27                                          =
                                             Kopie
                                                                       =

                                                                       =
                                             Thema
                                      Re: [suse-autoinstall] Upgrade 9.=
0 -> 9.1 went totally wrong
                                                                       =

                                                                       =

                                                                       =

                                                                       =

                                                                       =

                                                                       =

Gery,

Is your root-partition on an SATA drive?  If so, maybe the upgrade
feature isn't accomodating the device file change between the 2.4 and
2.6 kernels.

Roy

Wolfgang.Bauer@schoellerbank.at wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I tried to install SuSE 9.1 yesterday by trying to Upgrade my
> 9.0-installation. The nightmare was as follows:
>
> The first problem I encountered was that yast was not able to mount m=
> root-partition (reiserfs) although my 9.0-installation worked properl=
y...

> After a few tries, I used the "Auto-Repair Installed System"-feature =
(if
> you still use 9.0 - DONT USE THIS FEATURE!!!). First it worked very
nicely
> until it got to the point where it checked the installation. The
> repair-function noticed that the 9.1-installation was faulty (right, =
as
it
> was a 9.0-installation) and upgraded some packages. After a reboot th=
> system did not come up (could not find kernel). Well, yast-installati=
on
> again - could not mount root-filesystem. Damn.
>
> I tried many things but when I used "Reset Options" from the menu on =
the
> bottom YAST COULD MOUNT MY PARTITION - there were no other settings b=
ut
(by
> magic) now it worked (could this be a bug?!). But as the repair-syste=
> changed my old 9.0-installation "There was an error upgrading your
system".

> After I copied all my /home-data to my windowspartition via text-cons=
ole
> and freshly installed 9.1, I had a running linux-system again. But I
really
> have to say: poor upgrade-system. It used to work better with older
> Suse-distributions...
>
> Btw. I'm not a Linux novice (I use Linux since 1994) but it seems tha=
you