List:       opensuse-autoinstall
Subject:    autoinstall problems (SuSE 9.1 Pro)
From:       Ivan Poddubny <ivan () inviosoftware ! com>
Date:       2004-05-20 19:04:44

Hello All,

I'm trying to install SuSE 9.1 Pro onto 50+ systems and having some
difficulties with the process. Any help would be appreciated.

First of all, does anyone have an explanation why AutoYaST GUI and
documentation (I'm using 9.0 docs as an example) creating different
output then described in DTD files? Many DTDs are simply missing (like
there are no definitions of samba-server), the other have different
structure. Is it suppose to be so and we should correct DTD files
ourselves or is this wrong?

Anyway, I probably could live with this issue (at least I found some
workarounds) but there are several other problems I can't resolve:

(1) the documentation does not specify what users created (if any)
during installation. I suspected that root is created but when I tried
to login on test system after installing it using empty password for
root, I got "Login incorrect". So I modified the control file and I
tried to create user and assign a password for him. I got same results
(Login incorrect) after installation. Is there any kind of special
tricks here? BTW, I specified NIS but I suppose that users like root
should be read from local files (i.e. /etc/nsswitch.conf has either
"passwd: compat" or "passwd: files nis").

(2) my installation seems to be hanging at the very end. All packages
installed, system rebooted and then installer is running SuSEconfig.*
scripts. At the end of this process (or maybe right after it: step with
copying preconfigured files onto system has been completed) I'm getting
black screen (monitor stays on) and no disk activity. The only solution
is reset button (which could lead to some missing configuration steps).
I'm configuring X11 and suspecting that error comes from this part.
Video adapter on test system supports the resolution I'm trying to use
(1024x768 @ 16bpp). Is there anything I could do to debug the problem?

(3) (this is sort of goes back to problem with DTDs). I was trying to
use new syntax to describe LVM part when partitioning hard disk. The
validation of control file goes OK. But when installing a test system, I
got "lvremove cannot delete group sysdg" and after that installation
fails. I tried to remove <use>all</use> tag from description of LVM
partition, but it didn't help. The only solution was to go back to old
syntax of LVM. However, there's a hidden (for me) problem: in the
configuration I choose I have two volumes then belong to same disk
group: root and home. While the size of root is always static (let's say
12GB), the size of home may vary due to different size of the harddrive.
When using old syntax there's no way to specify "use maximum available
space" for a volume, the size has to be defined. With new syntax it's
possible to use key word "max". Is there anything could be done to
either use new syntax of LVM's description or how could I specify "use
all available space" with the old one?

Thank you!

     --ivan