List:       opensuse-autoinstall
Subject:    Re: [suse-autoinstall] Server without VGA graphics card - how to convince BIOS to continue booting
From:       "Carl Peto" <carl () bookmanassociates ! com>
Date:       2004-01-30 11:42:38

We cannot have a PCI graphics card because the box has only one PCI slot
(and one AGP slot but we don't want to spend money just to get an AGP card
for this server that will never be used) and that is needed for the RAID
card.

Interestingly enough your point about kernel panics - I've had quite a few
and invariably the VGA doesn't work either, especially if the console has X
running - completely hopeless in that case.

In my experience, when the kernel kills scheduling (as it often seems to do
if there's a misbehaving driver), only the SysRq mechanism does anything.
I'd hoped that a serial console was the way out of that, so I could at least
get proper oops messages to feed to ksymoops.

Anyway we plan to run either Win 2003 Server or a very, very stable install
of SuSE 8.2 on this box so kernel instability should not occur.

The openbios project sounds interesting - my business partner and I were
hoping that there might be something like that around, I'll look into that.

Thanks for your help Simon and Frank.

Carl Peto
Linux Administrator
Bookman Associates