List:       opensuse-autoinstall
Subject:    Re: [suse-autoinstall] simulated installation with yast2?
From:       Anas Nashif <nashif () suse ! de>
Date:       2002-05-17 19:38:16

* Andreas Kurz <andreas.kurz@infonova.at> [May 17. 2002 21:22]:

> >>during an manuall installation of suse 8.0 i found a couple of
> >>configuration-files in /tmp.
> >

> >What configuration file exactly?
>
> there are some files in directories called /tmp/YaST2-xxxx. i cant
> remember the names exactly ... e.g. partitioning.??? . the content looks
> like input for yast2-modules. but these are not xml files.

Aha I see. These are obviously temporary files and have really nothing
to do with the autoinstallation. Sometimes /tmp is used to store module
data during installation..

> >>are there plans to implement a "simulation" mode for a
> >>yast2-installation. as a result you get an xml file (or something
> >>different) for an autoinstallation.
> >

> >I am not sure I understand what you mean with 'simulation'!
> >A cloning feature of an existing system might make it into the next
> >version, is that what you mean?
> >

> cloning sounds good. i mean the next step: like a common installation
> for a new system (but in "usermode"), with partitioning, metadevices,
> lvm, package-selection, timezone .... but the result is an
> autoinstall.xml to put on an installation server. so you use the
> same-installation routine as on the installation-cdrom for an manual
> installation but at the end you dont really do a new installation, you
> only have your xml file. i think the installation routine for suse 8.0
> is comfortable, why donīt use it in the autoinstall-module?

It's not as easy as it sounds. :-(
The installation routines were designed for installation and
configuration of a running system. That means alot of interaction with
the running system takes place, something that should be avoided and
would be make things very complicated when trying to run in 'user mode'.

As a matter of fact, We have tried this in earlier versions and it
requires alot of modification to the system and is very error prone.

It is clear that the LVM interface for example is much more easier to
work with than creating LVM conf using XML, but we are getting there
slowly with special and modified modules in the auto-install
configuration system.

Regards,
Anas

--