List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: Change minicom terminal type
From:       Masaru Nomiya <nomiya () lake ! dti ! ne ! jp>
Date:       2024-05-17 12:27:49

Hello,

In the Message;

  Subject    : Re: Change minicom terminal type
  Date & Time: Thu, 16 May 2024 13:41:54 -0400

[JK] == James Knott <james.knott@jknott.net> has written:

[...]
MN> >    $ minicom -l [DEVICE]

JK>  From man minicom:
[...]
JK>  I have tried -l, -l ansi, -l --ansi, --ansi and none of them
JK> work.   I always get VT102.   The only way to get ansi is to go into the
JK> menu for terminal settings, to select ansi.   What would possess
JK> whoever created minicom to not make it a setting that could be set?   I
JK> guess he worked for DEC and assumed everyone worked on DEC gear.
JK> Well, I used to do a lot more on Data General than DEC.

I don't know when, but this must be the reason for the change;

   https://flokoe.github.io/bash-hackers-wiki/scripting/terminalcodes/#the-tput-command

   you should avoid using the ANSI codes directly - use the tput
   command!

Regards & Good Night.

---
┏━━┓彡 Masaru Nomiya                       mail-to: nomiya @ lake.dti.ne.jp
┃\/彡
┗━━┛  "Distinguish between what is meaningful to me and what is meaningless,
	  and forget what is meaningless to me. This is where individuality comes
	  into play. This is a function that computer cannot perform."

                                            -- Shigehiko Toyama (in Japanes) --