List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: EFI bootable gpt disk made in Legacy-boot Tumbleweed?
From:       Felix Miata <mrmazda () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2024-01-23 6:55:24

Ben T. Fender composed on 2024-01-22 14:11 (UTC-0500):

> Is this possible?

> I tried with the TW installer to make such a disk to be used on
> another computer but when I set "grub2-efi" for boot it was
> rejected because "the current system was Legacy boot" or words to
> that effect.

One option with which I have experience that would /not/ be /initially/ bootable
would be to install with bootloader configuration "None", "Not Installed" or "Not
managed". I just did one again a few hours ago in Leap and already forgot the
exact language in Leap's bootloader setup and summary screens. :p

Proceed to do an otherwise normal installation with expert partitioning, either
using existing (the way I do, always partitioning in full in advance of starting
installation; today /again/ with EXT4 for / to couple with existing RAID for
data), or using the expert installer to create an ESP and other partitions as and
how you wish them. Use detailed package selection to make sure yast2-bootloader,
grub2-x86_64-efi and efibootmgr and their deps get installed. Once the
installation exits, you can move that disk to the other PC and use USB rescue boot
to chroot into the installed system to setup Grub directly, or indirectly using yast.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata