List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: nVidia Version???
From:       "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty () suddenlinkmail ! com>
Date:       2024-01-12 0:58:23

On 1/7/24 01:43, Robin Klitscher wrote:
> Thank you.   Though it's not entirely clear it seems G06 wins, by association
> if nothing else.
>
> (But it still leaves me wondering why the Gxx designations exist, and what
> purpose is served by them.)

It's to confuse the heck out of mere mortals....

   My understanding is the G0X designation is some loose reference to the
graphics core engine type X. (legacy, fermi, kepler, maxwell, etc..)

   I've always found the wikipedia page much more informative that the nvidia
site (all cards on one page):

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units

  No correlation to actual product Code-Names, etc... I'm sure there is a real
reason -- but don't know who those G0X codes were developed by. I just know
openSUSE has used them for years and you just look up your graphics
card/engine and cross-reference it to the driver version.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.