List:       opensuse
Subject:    what's wrong with my script?
From:       Daniel Bauer <linux () daniel-bauer ! com>
Date:       2023-12-27 20:26:29

Hello,

I have a script that does some imageMagick stuff in a for-loop and save
the results in sub-directories. Normally it works perfect, but in a
certain condition it produces a strange result I cannot explain.

I start the script in my /home/daniel/digikam folder with ./scriptname.sh

It cd's to the directory containing the files that should be transformed
and the for-loop searches for all *.png files, like:

cd to png-directory
for bild in *.png
do
  resize $bild, add text, save ${bild%.png}.jpg as JPEG-image in
sub-directory ./4000
  add color profile to ./4000/"${bild%.png}.jpg"
done

(The original script resizes to 2 sizes into 2 sub-directories, adds a
color-profile and then converts to new color-profile to both versions,
it is here: https://www.daniel-bauer.com/div/strange_script.txt)

Now when I have NO png-files (but jpg-files) in the "png-directory", in
my opinion the script should do just nothing, because there is nothing
to process in the for-loop.

But what happens is:

All files that already have been in the sub-directories before are
copied to a file with the name of the last file that already was in that
sub-directory, plus a number.

[to explain:

there are already 3 files A.jpg, B.jpg, C.jpg in the sub-directory
before I start the script.
After the script executed I have there addditional:
C-0.jpg, C-1.jpg, C-3.jpg ... ... C-32.jpg ... ...
where those C-n-files are copies of A, B and C.jpg

]

Where is my error?
Why does the script do anything, when the condition for the for-loop
isn't met (there are no *.png-files to process)?

Thanks for your help!

Daniel

--
Daniel Bauer photographer Basel Málaga