List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: Mongodb
From:       "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty () suddenlinkmail ! com>
Date:       2023-12-22 6:21:25

On 12/21/23 23:53, Rodney Baker wrote:
> It is used as the database (and is a dependency for) graylog (which can be
> anything from a free syslog receiver/analyser to a full SIEM), and I know that
> it is under active development and has repositories for Debian at least.
>

> A quick search and browse of their website soon turned up this:
>

> /https://www.mongodb.com/download-center/community/releases/
> <https://www.mongodb.com/download-center/community/releases>
>

> They have a Suse 15 x64 rpm available for download, and I'm pretty sure they
> also have a zypper repo you can add...yes, here:
>

> https://repo.mongodb.org/zypper/suse/15/mongodb-org/7.0/x86_64/
> <https://repo.mongodb.org/zypper/suse/15/mongodb-org/7.0/x86_64/>

Packman has it. The issues I had with it as a dependency -- is it may or may
not remain available. The AUR package published by polarean just went away,
leaving all packages that depend on it in a lurch.

openSUSE doesn't package it for the same reasons Arch doesn't package it and
why it is in Packman and AUR.

Given my experience with it, I always wondered why anyone would make it a
dependency when MariaDB, PostgreSQL, DB or SQLite would suffice and not have
the same issues.

There is nothing wrong with mongodb itself, it's just the licensing and
availability baggage that I see as a drawback.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.