List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: Extra NTP server address
From:       "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty () suddenlinkmail ! com>
Date:       2023-12-19 20:07:42

On 12/18/23 15:22, James Knott wrote:
> As mentioned in another message, this is just an NTP client, not a server.   My
> server is on my pfSense firewall/router.

Not sure if it was clear earlier, but it doesn't matter where NTP is run but
there is always some communication between NTP and external IPs to determine
how far you are away from your clock source and the offsets in transmission
time needed to ensure your clocks remain in sync. If running in the router,
that communication will still occur.

There are configuration settings available to control some of the behavior,
but even if acting as a pure client to set the local clock, NTP will still
have to talk to, ping (whatever it does?), to work out how much to adjust the
time you get to make sure it is "within a nat's ass" of the true provider time
(technical term).

With wireshark if you dissect the packets, it's likely that type communication
you will find, along with the validation traffic that you are talking to a NTP
server.

It's a good question, and like I said, I haven't revisited NTP in more than a
decade, so this is going from where things were circa 2010.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.