List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: pulseaudio equalizer has no effect
From:       Simon Lees <sflees () suse ! de>
Date:       2023-09-07 1:54:39

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

[Attachment #4 (text/plain)]

On 9/6/23 22:26, Daniel Bauer wrote:

> Am 06.09.23 um 11:39 schrieb Simon Lees:
>>

>> On 9/6/23 18:09, Daniel Bauer wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> since I upgraded on OS 15.5 pulseaudio equalizer has a different user
>>> interface, and unfortunately has no effect anymore. I can change all
>>> sliders, click the on/off button... no matter what I do, it has
>>> absolutely no effect.
>>>
>>> What could be the reason?
>>> Or is there another equalizer that works?
>>>
>>> (I often listen to a radio station that obviously has a bass fetish
>>> that makes my loudspeakers vibrate on the table, and since years I
>>> used pulseaudio equalizer up to OS 15.3 to normalize that radio
>>> sound...)
>>>
>>> Thanks for hints
>>
>> There is a chance you got migrated to pipewire / wireplumber. With a
>> quick test here, it doesn't play nicely with those at all.
>>

> No idea what pipewire / wireplumber do, but according to Yast they are
> installed.

It is a replacement implementation for pulseaudio and jack that
generally does everything better while being compatible for applications.

> What does this mean in my case?

Unfortunately for you one thing it doesn't have by design is the
"Global" system from PulseAudio. It doesn't make sense when people like
me have usecases where I can be sending audio to multiple devices at once.

There is maybe a workaround for your usecase using jack tools.

1. Install pipewire-jack, qjackctl and jackEQ and or jack-rack
2. Launch jackEQ then qjackctl
3. On qjackctl hit the graph button, you should see lines going from
whichever application is playing your media into your sound card.
4. If you disconnect, or delete these, and instead go from your app into
jackEQ then from jackEQ to your soundcard the EQ should now have effect.
5. You can probably somewhat automate this with pw-link if you get it
working.

--
Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                           Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30

["OpenPGP_signature.asc" (application/pgp-signature)]