List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: why did eth0 suddenly stop working?
From:       Daniel Bauer <linux () daniel-bauer ! com>
Date:       2023-07-10 8:37:27

Am 09.07.23 um 20:39 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
> On 2023-07-02 14:06, Daniel Bauer wrote:
>> I have some cameras connected with eth-cables to a switch and from
>> there to a computer (OS 15.5, using zoneminder for the cameras). It
>> works.
>>
>> But this morning I saw that tonight the connection to the cameras was
>> lost. I could ping the switch, but not the cameras. "arp -a" showed
>> the IP's of the cameras but with "[IP] at incomplete ...".
>>
>> I checked all cables.
>> I rebooted.
>> I switched off/on electricity for computer/switch/cameras.
>> I unplugged the switch's cable to the computer and plugged it again.
>>
>> No change.
>>
>> I plugged the eth cable to my laptop (that I used before for this
>> task, using OS 15.3) and all connections worked...
>>
>> Plugged back the eth cable to the computer - and the connections work
>> again, all cameras pingable and visible. Magic.
>>
>> There are no messages in var/log, only the zoneminder-log said "no
>> connection to..."
>>
>> What happened here?
>
> Your setup is, I think:
>

> +-----------------------------------+
> |    switch 8 mouths                |
> |                                   |
> +-----------------------------------+
>    |      |      |       |       |
>    |      |      |       |       |
> mini    cam    cam    cam     router
> pc       1      2      3
>

> Normally, it all works.
>
> When it fails:
>
>   ping from mini pc to sw, works

Not sure anymore, I think the switch itself has no IP (?).
What works is ping to eth0, with the fixed IP I defined in networkmanager.

>   ping from mini pc to camera, fails

yes

>   ping to router?

There is no router. Only Mini_PC to switch, switch to cameras.
WiFi is turned off. No internet connection wanted.

>   ping to laptop (tried)?

Haven't tried. Need another cable. Will try while everything works to
check the new cable, and then try again, when the error occurs the next
time.

> The SW has to be involved in the failure somehow. The culprit can not be
> your computer alone.

I posted on it's forum yesterday, with not a lot of hope, because
actually I cannot imagine that a software could stop my network working,
especially because it's the same on the laptop and on the PC. But well...

--
Daniel Bauer photographer Basel Málaga
https://www.patreon.com/danielbauer