List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: why did eth0 suddenly stop working? Again and very strange!
From:       "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas () telefonica ! net>
Date:       2023-07-09 11:18:30

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

[Attachment #4 (text/plain)]

On 2023-07-09 13:00, Daniel Bauer wrote:
> Just the same as described in my first post happened again tonight:
>
> Suddenly (like after approx. 100 of running normal) the connections on
> eth0 tpo the IP's behind the switch get lost. I can ping the switch, but
> not the other IP's connected to that switch.

First idea: power cycle the switch.

Is the switch manageable, does it have a web page for administration?
Perhaps it has a log.

> There is nothing in /var/log/messages (except the camera software that
> complains for not being able to connect with the cameras).
> Networkmanager shows "connected".
>
> Disconnect-reconnect/unplugg-replug cables/rebooting/completely
> disconnect/reconnect PC, switch and cameras from electricity doesn't help.

Ah, then you did you power cycle the switch?

> BUT: plugging the the switch to my laptop all IP's are available on the
> laptop immediately, then plugging back the cable to the PC they appear
> there as well...

Full buffer somewhere...

Strange.

> I cannot explain to myself why when I connect the switch to my laptop
> and then back to the PC it works again immediately, but I can't
> re-establish eth0 connection by any other means. What does my laptop do
> to do the magic?

The switch resets the "history" of that connector. Wild guess out of my hat.

> My laptop isn't connected to the PC in any way (no WiFi, no
> eth-connection), so it can't change something on the PC. To me it seems
> that it changes something on the switch, but what and how?
>
> Any ideas how I can find the error?
If it is the switch, try to find a firmware update for it, and apply it.

I had a very weird problem with my switch, and it was that.

(packets from router downstairs did not reach machines connected to
switch upstairs, 30% failure. I some setup, ping failed completely. I'd
have to dug out my notes to describe, it was weird. Telefonica man
wasted more than hour, and finally replaced the router. First router
lost 100% packets, second only 30% loss. "Madrecita, que me quede como
estoy". Many moons later, a switch update solved the issue.)

Switches being smart means they can have bugs. This is progress.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 15.4 x86_64 at Telcontar)

["OpenPGP_signature.asc" (application/pgp-signature)]