List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: BSD Sendmail broke in OpenSuSE 15.4 (was Sendmail broke in OpenSuSE 15.4)
From:       Bob Rogers <rogers () rgrjr ! com>
Date:       2023-06-21 23:57:45

   From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@telefonica.net>
   Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 23:08:35 +0200

   On 2023-06-21 22:41, Bob Rogers wrote:
   >     From: Marc Chamberlin via openSUSE Users <users@lists.opensuse.org>
   >     Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 22:55:54 -0700
   >
   >     . . .
   >
   >     Also, as I have discovered, if the current version of BSD sendmail
   >     command is called directly, to compose and send an email, and the -bd
   >     parameter is not specified when the BSD sendmail service is started,
   >     I get a connection refused on port 25.  This is true across all of my
   >     firewalld zones.
   >
   > So the sendmail "server" is trying to *connect to* something on port 25,
   > presumably to attempt a delivery.  My reading of the aforementioned page
   > is that without "-bd", sendmail (still running in the systemd process
   > and not as a daemon) should see no addresses on the command line and an
   > EOF on stdin, and exit with an error.

   Why is not "Apache James", which you said listens "for incoming emails
   on port 25", accepting the connection from the sendmail on port 25?

Maybe sendmail is trying port 25 on localhost and Apache James is only
binding 25 on some other interface?  Maybe sendmail is trying to connect
to some other host?  In any case, I think this is a side issue; the real
problem is to get the sendmail daemon (if a daemon is in fact necessary)
configured for outgoing email only.

   Postfix provides a sendmail binary with limited functionality to fool
   local applications into calling sendmail to send mail, but that binary
   instead passes it to postfix "somehow". Question: doesn't Apache James
   provide another sendmail binary for this purpose?

   --
   Cheers / Saludos,

		   Carlos E. R.
		   (from 15.4 x86_64 at Telcontar)

I'm guessing it doesn't, and didn't, or Marc would have been using it
before his upgrade.  (IIRC he said the Apache James doc said to use
sendmail for outgoing mail.)

					-- Bob