List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: Copying /home
From:       Mark Misulich <munguanaweza () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-03-07 18:38:28

On Tue, 2023-03-07 at 19:06 +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2023-03-07 18:42, Per Jessen wrote:
> > Mark Misulich wrote:
> >
> > > $ ssh lxmark@xxx.xxx.x.x  (enter)
> > > then yes
> > > then enter pasword for user on the destination computer
> > > $ rsync -av /home/mark/ lxmark@xxx.xxx.x.x:/home/lxmark
> >
> > Hi Mark,
> > provided you have sshd running everywhere (usually it is the
> > default),
> > this ought to suffice:
> >
> > On the source machine:
> > rsync -av --progress /home/mark/
> > lxmark@des.ti.na.tion:/home/lxmark
> >
> > --progress is just to see what is happening.
> >
> > You can do a dry-run with '-n' beforehand, to see what will be
> > done.
>

> I normally use these options:
>

> OPTIONS="--archive --acls --xattrs --hard-links --sparse \
>        --stats --human-readable --checksum"
>

> rsync --del $OPTIONS     /from/   /to
>

> This assumes running as root, so:
>

> rsync --del $OPTIONS     /home/   root@destination.localnet/home
>

> I never use "--progress", it is way too verbose and makes any
> important
> message to flow up fast. If I could restrict that progress output
> (and
> only that) to a number of lines in the terminal, then that would be
> different.
>
> Instead I look with 'mc' at the destination directory.
>

> --
> Cheers / Saludos,
>
>                                 Carlos E. R.
>                                 (from 15.4 x86_64 at Telcontar)

Hi,
thanks everyone for the tips and for looking over the bash commands.

Something did go wrong, in the course of rsync writing files to the
destination computer.  I just found I had files written to home/lxmark,
then home/lxmark/lxmark, then home/lxmark/lxmark/lxmark, then
home/lxmark/lxmark/lxmark/lxmark, then
home/lxmark/lxmark/lxmark/lxmark/lxmark, then
home/lxmark/lxmark/lxmark/lxmark/lxmark/lxmark. I shut off the transfer
when I found this.

I copied home on the source computer onto a usb stick before I tried
this, so I will be able to straighten it all out on the destination
computer eventually.

If anyone has any ideas why my computer adventure has gone awry, let me
know so I can do better next time.

Thanks,
Mark