List:       opensuse
Subject:    Copying /home
From:       Mark Misulich <munguanaweza () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-03-07 16:11:00

Hi,
I'm trying to copy my home files from one computer to another using
rsync. I had already copied some files from home to the new computer
with a usb stick, and want to update the information to include all
additions to files on the old computer to the new computer. The two
computers are linked via cat5 through my my router.  I'm going to
switch my computer for a newer build, the one I'm using as the source
is around 15 years old so I want to transfer all my stored data in
/home in the old computer to /home in the new computer.  I'm asking the
list to look over the bash commands that I've researched to make sure
I've got it right.

$ ssh lxmark@xxx.xxx.x.x (enter)
then yes
then enter pasword for user on the destination computer
$ rsync -av /home/mark/ lxmark@xxx.xxx.x.x:/home/lxmark

Thanks,
Mark