List:       opensuse
Subject:    Update woes
From:       Roger Oberholtzer <roger.oberholtzer () gmail ! com>
Date:       2022-09-06 7:25:13

I have a Tumbleweed  system that is a little out of date. (Different
discussion.) For whatever reason (local IT complaints), I decided to
update Jenkins (CI system). We use it, but not in a critical way. So
if the update failed, no real problem. After updating it, it
complained that the java we had was too old. okay, It's the only java
app, so same for this, a successful update is not critical.

Well, after updating these two things (java was a number of packages),
all hell has broken loose. I see that I missed that glibc was updated
when Java was updated. Rookie mistake. I know better. But it is what
it is. And glibc is usually pretty much backward compatible in that it
usually contains recent API versions  a well a the new one.

So, I thought I would do a snapper rollback. Which I did. However, it
looks like all the changes are still there. rpm --last reports all the
updated RPMs. I expected that to have been reverted. Did I miss
something.

I'm afraid to reboot as I don't know what all is effected. I'm afraid
to do the long delayed distro update as I don't know what might fail
in some RPM script.

I could consider doing a fresh install. All the important stuff on
this system is on a separate RAID volume. It's just some
configurations on root that I would like to keep. However, I nave a
critical application (trac) that is still not Python 3 for production
use. So I don't want to loose any Python 2 stuff that I have already
installed.

Any words of encouragement? Advice?

--
Roger Oberholtzer