List:       opensuse
Subject:    kernel-firmware updates to 15.4 changed default handling of keypad [enter] key?
From:       "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty () suddenlinkmail ! com>
Date:       2022-09-02 5:38:00

All,

   This is strange. I just did updates on 15.4 and there were kernel-firmware
updates that somehow changed the default mapping of the keypad [enter] key.

   I discovered this almost immediately. When working with microcontrollers, I
always send serial output to an xterm with minicom. When I need to flash, I
exit minicom with [ctrl + a] then [x] and tap the keypad [enter] key.

   Immediately after updates, when I go to exit minicom and tap the keypad
[enter] key, the

        Leave Minicom?
         Yes     No

dialog simply disappears and I remain in minicom. The normal keyboard [enter]
key works just fine.

   I don't notice anything different check with xev, the keypresses still look
right, e.g. the keypad and normal keyboard enter keys look correct.

KeyPress event, serial 40, synthetic NO, window 0x3600001,
     root 0x2eb, subw 0x0, time 1847448, (47,-13), root:(1465,8),
     state 0x0, keycode 104 (keysym 0xff8d, KP_Enter), same_screen YES,
"   XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (0d) "
"   XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (0d) "
     XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyPress event, serial 40, synthetic NO, window 0x3600001,
     root 0x2eb, subw 0x0, time 1850055, (47,-13), root:(1465,8),
     state 0x0, keycode 36 (keysym 0xff0d, Return), same_screen YES,
"   XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (0d) "
"   XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (0d) "
     XFilterEvent returns: False

   Was there a change anywhere else in the 449 Meg of updates that would have
changed the mapping for how "Return" (normal keyboard) and "KP_Enter" (keypad)
are interpreted??

   All guesses welcome. I'm not sure where to look for this one.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.