List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: Best way to move to a new PC
From:       Daniel Bauer <linux () daniel-bauer ! com>
Date:       2022-04-07 20:28:12

Am 07.04.22 um 20:50 schrieb Per Jessen:
> Daniel Bauer wrote:
>

>> Am 07.04.22 um 19:08 schrieb Per Jessen:
>>> One option that could make your life easier is to leave some of the
>>> setup on your old machine - apache, mysql etc ?  Leave your old PC as
>>> a test/development server?
>>
>> That would be nice, but I need to put the disks in the new machine,
>> they contain all my images in subdirectories of /home on separate
>> disks.
>
> Depending on how you are set up, you could even leave those disks in the
> old machine, and serve them with nfs or samba.  It might not be fast
> enough for your purposes though, but I thought it would be worth
> mentioning.
>
>> I don't see a problem to just plug them in the new machine and then
>> put the correct mount-points in Yast once the system is running.
>
> I agree, it'll work just fine.  Even if you just edit fstab manually :-)

>>> Hmm, I think that would actually work quite well, maybe with a bit of
>>> manual editing afterwards.  Just moving the disks is what I did
>>> earlier this week ("Right to replace" thread).  I guess the main
>>> issue might be your new graphics card, but it depends.
>>
>> Could it work or is there "no other way than to manually re-create"
>> the setup? It contradicts :-)
>
> Well, I understood you had excluded the option of moving the disk over -
> yes, it'll work fine, I dare say.

Oh, I "excluded" it because I thought it wouldn't work anyway not
because of preference...

>> My new machine comes with a new 500GB SSD and an 8 TB HD. Later I will
>> plug in my existing SSD and 3 HD's.
>> If it could work, would it be intelligent to
>>
>> - plug in my existing 500GB SSD on the 3rd position,
>>     (it contains 8MB BIOS boot partition, 1 GB EFI system partition,
>>     414 GB encrypted LVM with 30 GB swap, 100 GB /, 284 GB partition I
>>     use for virtualbox Windows drives)
>>
>> - boot from a stick into a "rescue-system",
>> - dd the old SSD to the new SSD (which are of the same size)
>
> I would suggest using rsync for this.

Carlos suggests the same.

But (as much as I understand it) rsync is like a "copy" while dd clones
the bits.

So my conclusion was that with dd I can clone the complete SSD including
the partitioning, the boot sectors, the encrypted LVM partitions.

To my understanding, with rsync I'd first have to format the new SSD,
make the partitions, create the encrypted LVM, and then rsync each
partition separately.

Am I wrong?

>> - boot to text console from the now dd-ed SSD
>> - use text-Yast to remove current NVidia Drivers
>> ?
>>
>> Could that work?
>
> I think you will need to update the boot-loader, but otherwise yes.
>
>> If so, after that I would
>>
>> - plug the other disks
>> - boot to graphics mode (using default driver because of removed
>> NVidia drivers, that will give wrong resolution for the moment)
>> - install new NVidia drivers (*) with Yast
>> - use Yast to define the mount-points of the disks
>>
>> Or is this procedure a too nice and easy dream to be possible in real
>> life?
>
> No, it sounds perfectly reasonable.
>
> You may already be doing this, but because your machine contains your
> valuable work, even if you do backups, it might simply be easier to set
> up one or two RAID arrays.  It is easy to do (yast will even help) and
> won't cost you more than the price of a harddrive.

The reason I have my backups on external disks, only plugged when
actually in use, is that I am afraid of those malwares that encrypt your
things and you have to pay to decrypt them again. When they are
unplugged they cannot be affected, and the chance that such a malware
hits me right in the moment when I do a backup is much smaller...

Am I paranoid?

I do not need a continuous backup. I backup whenever I add new images or
when I edited a session, with big sessions sometimes once more in between.

--
Daniel Bauer photographer Basel Málaga
https://www.patreon.com/danielbauer