List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: XSane--SOLVED! THANK YOU!
From:       DennisG <dwgallien () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-09-26 3:33:53

On 9/25/21 10:36 PM, Douglas McGarrett wrote:

> On 9/25/21 12:18 AM, DennisG wrote:

>>> Ok Doug, I think I found the solution by scanning through my
>>> personal email archive . . . this was all in mid-2019.
>>>
>>> There are 3 pieces here.  I think the third was the solution.
>>>
>>> First, you downloaded
>>> imagescan-bundle-opensuse-15.2-3.65.0.x64.rpm.tar.gz from the Epson
>>> site and ran the install script, but it failed because there were
>>> two components that are proprietary to Epson which would not install
>>> (for several reasons, too detailed to recap here).
>>>
>>> Second, you found a firmware for the Epson V300 somewhere else which
>>> you were able to install but still left the machine not working
>>> properly.  I don't think that firmware is applicable for your
>>> particular model.
>>>
>>> Third, I pointed you to the iscan package which is in the Packman
>>> repository.  It provides the proprietary front-end pieces that
>>> opensuse cannot.  So just run YaST/Software, search for iscan,
>>> install it, and then you should be able to install the scanner with
>>> YaST/Scanner.  This worked before.
>>>
>>> NOTE:  I am presuming the Epson is attached via USB, and so it is
>>> not networked on the LAN.  If it is networked and YaST does not see
>>> it after installing the iscan package, you may need to install an
>>> additional package.  But I'm not going to go there unless the Epson
>>> is networked _and_ the iscan package by itself does not solve the
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> Good luck.
>>>
>>> --dg
>>> Leap 15.2 & 15.3/KDE
>>
>> According to the Seiko documentation that comes with the Epson
>> archive that qas downloaded before (#1 above), it is possible for a
>> network scanner to work if a certain driver is used.  Not knowing if
>> that applies, the advice is to try iscan alone.
>>
>> This was the problem that blocked you the first time when you used
>> the install script from the Epson download.  If you had read the
>> documentation, you would know that the script is intended to be run
>> with parameters, including what type of connection you have.
>>
>> You need to install the packages iscan-plugin and sane-backends; the
>> former which provides the proprietary network component to work with
>> iscan.
> Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I don't know which one did the
> trick--I ran zypper on each, and it gave me a lot of crap on the first
> one, but it finally
> installed all or part of it. The second one ran smoothly. And you can
> bet that I have already put this in my notebook!
> --doug
>>
>> Good luck.
>>
>> --dg
>> 15.2 & 15.3/KDE

Just take note that it is the package iscan-plugin which is critical; it
provides the network component.  I didn't think you'd need the
sane-backends, but it doesn't hurt to have it.  Look at the Description
and the File List for the package (in YaST/Software) and you will see
"network"; that is the proprietary piece you must have.

--dg
15.2&15.3/KDE