List:       opensuse
Subject:    heat sink for m.2 form drive
From:       George from the tribe <tech () reachthetribes ! org>
Date:       2021-08-23 14:34:45

I have just purchased this NVMe SSD to replace the stock SSD for my new
laptop. One thing that stood out when I switched it in was that the
stock m.2 NVMe SSD has like this dark grey silverish looking tape around
it. I assume that is for heat dissipation.

I couldn't find anything quite like that on line for the new SSD, so I
purchased a kit that has a blue heat conducting silica gel pad and a
copper plate that you put over each side, all in the m.2 size.

I found a youtube video that showed the difference in heat on a chip
with and without heat sink pads (not the same kind as I bought), and the
difference was remarkable.

One drawback I see is the copper plate being stuck there in the middle
of my laptop, with pretty tight tolerances, and I am wondering if I
should just stick with the silica gel pad.

Anyone else have any experience with using these things? Any suggestions
on how to proceed? I haven't installed the heat sinks yet - waiting to
find out what others might have done. Right now the new drive is sitting
there in the laptop without any heat sink on it.

--
George
Box:       15.2 | Plasma 5 | AMD Phenom IIX4 | 64 | 32GB