List:       opensuse
Subject:    getting a replacement drive
From:       George from the tribe <tech () reachthetribes ! org>
Date:       2021-08-16 2:45:40

I have just bought an ASUS Zenbook flip s, refurbished, and the storage
it says it has on the specs is a 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD. It is supposed
to arrive in a couple of days.

When I get it, I am thinking of taking the existing drive out and
replacing it with a blank 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD, and then installing
openSUSE on that, and not having Windows at all, no dual boot, pure
Linux. That way if there is a hardware problem, I can put the original
it came with back in and send it in on warranty, and they can't say
anything. After the warranty runs out I will have an extra drive. It's a
bit of an extra expense, but probably worth it to me.

So as I am looking at the various 1TB drives available with the M.2 form
factor, I see several options. Some say V-NAND technology, others say 3D
NAND, and some say speeds up to 3470 MB/sec and others 2400 MB/sec, and
others don't mention speeds. In general I would prefer higher speed, if
the other hardware on my new flipbook would support it.

But I was wondering if anyone has some experience in buying a
replacement drive like this for a laptop or 2-in-1 with the form factor
M.2, and if you might have any suggestions on what I should look for.

--
George
Box:       15.2 | Plasma 5 | AMD Phenom IIX4 | 64 | 32GB