List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: Nginx and GeoIP
From:       Togan Muftuoglu <toganm () dinamizm ! com>
Date:       2020-12-21 19:10:02

paka> * Chuck Payne <terrorpup@gmail.com> [12-21-20 08:30]:
>> Hi,
>>
>> So I need to ask a question. I been looking online for how to block
>> countries using GeoIP with my Nginx installed, I keep seeing
>> geoip-database.
>>
>> If I install the geoipupdate, will that install the database I need? Or do
>> I need to download the geolite tar ball from Maxmind?

paka> it appears that you must now obtain a free license from Maxmind and
paka> configure geoipupdate with the information and then the update will
paka> automatically work (cron).

There is the https://db-ip.com/db/lite.php which doesn't need a licence AFAIK
and this version comes with the xtables-geoip. So maybe there should be some
kind of package available for other usages rather than solely for firewall needs