List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: HP 1109W printer
From:       DennisG <dwgallien () gmail ! com>
Date:       2020-12-20 21:59:04

On 12/19/20 3:18 PM, Carl Spitzer {L Juno} wrote:
> It says wireless but is there a way by laptop to directly connect
> without it being on a network just one printer and one laptop no network?
>
> HP did not seem to have help but for Winblows and MAC,

Perhaps you already have this info, but if not just fwiw . . . HP has a
peer-to-peer (p2p) technology that is called "HP Wi-Fi Direct" (since
2014) that is now an industry standard.  Previously there was "HP
wireless direct" (less functionality, 2011-2014).  It is built into most
HP wireless printers.  The support page indicates that this works with
iPhone and Android smart phones.  Not what you asked for, but maybe a
workaround via dropbox or?

Your are right about the laptop, the HP driver on W$ or Mac is required,
and with that the connection is straightforward.  I haven't seen
anything that indicates that the HP linux binary plugin adds this
support.  That said . . .

On Linux there are articles on the web which describe it working by
using wpa_supplicant, where essentially one of the two devices is acting
as an AP.  I've read that the P2P functionality is in some distro stock
versions of wpa_supplicant, but in others it must be re-compiled to add
that (can't say which about openSUSE).  And also, your laptop NIC needs
to support P2P.  This is fairly advanced stuff, but it is possible.

--
dg