List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Re: Comparing enterprise and community distros (thread moved to opensuse@o.o)
From:       Per Jessen <per () computer ! org>
Date:       2018-02-23 20:16:25

Richard Brown wrote:

> On 23 February 2018 at 08:54, Per Jessen <per@computer.org> wrote:
>
>>> It's public - all of our commits, like all of our code, can be seen
>>> in their associated OBS or GitHub projects.
>>> But that's a lot of data, and we do not actively track it.
>>> Speaking from the Board's perspective, when we last discussed
>>> parsing that data, we felt we didn't really see a benefit.
>>
>> I would say we should show the numbers, just to show off.  Show how
>> we
>> have built a vibrant, active community.  Great marketing story.  It
>> would also stop people wondering.
>
> <points you towards GitHubs and OBS's API>
> if someone goes ahead and collates the data, it's not like we'd do
> nothing with it.
>
> Just because the Board decides something isn't worth their time
> doesn't mean it isn't going to be worth someone else's time if they're
> motivated to do it :)

That's certainly fair enough.  I wouldn't have thought it was a job for
the Board, other than to encourage/promote.
Well, I think somebody ought to be hitting the drums.

>>> However I look at what goes on in openQA, there is no way in a
>>> million years I could suggest that SUSE do the majority of the work
>>> in openSUSE (though obviously, the work they do is wonderful and
>>> openSUSE wouldn't want to live without it).
>>
>> Well, what does go on in openQA? :-)  For instance, how many test
>> cases were contributed by non-SUSE volunteers?  (just to think of
>> something).
>
> I meant to type "However I look at what goes on in openSUSE" ..oops

Haha, no probs.  I just remember trying to build a test case for openQA
once or twice, and finding it was a pretty steep learning curve.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (-1.8 °C)
http://www.cloudsuisse.com/ - your owncloud, hosted in Switzerland.