List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] openSUSE merits a better home page
From:       Billie Walsh <bilwalsh () swbell ! net>
Date:       2017-10-29 0:07:54

On 10/28/2017 08:32 AM, Richard Brown wrote:
> On 28 October 2017 at 15:22, Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@telefonica.net> wrote:
>>

>> On Saturday, 2017-10-28 at 15:15 +0200, Richard Brown wrote:
>>> On 27 October 2017 at 17:37, Wols Lists <> wrote:

>>> For the majority of my time in the openSUSE Project, I chose not to be
>>> subscribed to this list because I was fed up of the 'hive of scum and
>>> villainy' that it had become.
>>
>> I strongly object to your view of us. :-/
> As a regular here, I would expect you to do so.
> But it's a very, very, common opinion held by the majority of the
> people I have spoken to about this list.
> "What are you going to do about the mess in opensuse@" is a very
> common question raised at face to face meetings, such as openSUSE
> Conferences, for several years.
> And it is a common opinion expressed repeatedly by newcomers to the
> Project who have often approached me (first as a Board member years
> ago, and still since becoming Chairman), feeling that this list is a
> toxic stain upon the Project compared to the other communication
> channels which the project
>
> In the past, I used to just advise them to unsubscribe, as I had, and
> every other contributor I know had.
>
> But now I feel obligated to do something about this list, that's why
> you see me and occasionally the odd other Board member trying our best
> to steer things in a more positive direction when things go off the
> rails.
>
> It's exhausting work, and obviously it's not welcome by everyone here,
> but I can assure you that our efforts our grounded by very real
> concerns, by very real people.
> And I do like to think things are better today than they were 2 years
> ago, or 6 months ago.
>
> But for some old timers the same old objections keep coming up, so I
> think it's fair to share a few home truths from beyond the bubble that
> is easy to get lost in if opensuse@ is your only view on the openSUSE
> Project.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Rich

Well, considering all the openSUSE group thinks all of us are just a
"hive of scum" I suggest that all here find another distro that might
appreciate new users. Just shut down the list and get it over with.
Obviously scum aren't welcome.

--
"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things: