List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] HD docking station
From:       Billie Walsh <bilwalsh () swbell ! net>
Date:       2017-09-25 16:04:36

On 09/25/2017 10:40 AM, Peter Suetterlin wrote:
> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> On 2017-09-25 15:22, Peter Suetterlin wrote:
>>
>>> I'm using the 4-port from Sharkoon,
>>> https://www.amazon.de/Sharkoon-SATA-QuickPort-Quattro-Dockingstation/dp/B004QZJ67S
>>> and am very pleased with them.  No issues, I've been running anything from
>>> single drives to 4-drive RAIDS on it.  Disks just show up as standard USB
>>> connected /dev/sd? devices.
>> Do you connect a single eSATA cable for the four disks?
> Hmm, never tried it - my docking station has no eSATA port.  I'm using the
> USB-3.0 connection, which works fine.
>
>> I can't read the description in German, and I can't find that ASIN code
>> B004QZJ67S in amazon.com. But it mentions SATA in the name.
> Ah sorry - just typed in the name in my search, which defaults to german
> google...
>
> So, it does have eSATA and USB-3.0 connectors.  And AFAIK SATA supports port
> multiplication, so probably it should work with eSATA, too.  The german
> descriptions suggests it does ("up to 4 disks .... either USB 3.0 or eSATA")

We have something similar in a two drive configuration. Put two drives
in it an connect to the computer and they show as two drives. Our's also
will clone one drive to another of equal or larger size without being
connected to the computer.

--
"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things: